Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mitchell Brakes His Arm!!

July 16, 2001 - Mitch and his friend John from across the street were playing on our trampoline in the backyard. I was in the house watching Chase and Rylee when John comes running in the house yelling that Mitch was hurt. I walk over calmly. Mitch can be a bit of a drama-king. He looked up to me and said..."I think I broke my arm!" He had his right hand covering where the owie would be and thinking that he just scratched himself and would need a kiss and a band-aid told him to move his hand so I could look.

He moved his hand and I almost screamed! His arm was broken and I knew this as a fact because his arm was drooping in the middle! I told John to go home reassuring him that he wasn't in trouble at all and thanked him for playing with Mitch. (John is over a year older than Mitch). He ran home and I called Scott to let him know we'd be at the ER. As I'm bundling up the 3 kids for this trip, John's mom comes over to see if everything is OK. I show her the drooping and her mouth drops. She quickly offers to take Chase to her house so I would only have to deal with Rylee (I was still nursing) at the hospital. Gratefully I send Chase with her and hop in the car. Scott met us at the ER.

On the way Mitch tells me how it happened. He and John were finished jumping so John jumped off the trampoline to the ground. Mitch tried to follow, but since we live in Oregon and it's ALWAYS raining, the pad was wet and Mitch slipped. He fell over the chair he was supposed to use to get down and landed with both arms extended. The left one broke.
Consoling Mitch after he learned he will have to have an IV-that scared him!
My sweet little boy!After the IV trauma - Mitch is considerably more calm
Isn't your arm supposed to be straight in the middle?
Here's how broken his arm was...BOTH bones!!!
Closer look
The doctor had to put Mitch out completely to re-set his arm. Even though he was unconscious he still screamed when his arm was adjusted. Scott had a hard time with that.
Putting on the temporary cast

Rylee Jean helps Mitch feel better Always good for some laughs!
Taking x-rays to make sure they set it correctly
Here are the re-set bones
Rylee is happy Mitch is OK!
Fitting the sling
Ready to go home...4 hours later
Chase missed his "Buh". John's family made cards and Chase had fun while at their house. They went out later and got them both Hot Wheels as a get well gift.